Saturday, May 10, 2008

Chris' Blog - 7th May

The Trip 7 May 26/47

After most of the team climbed aboard the bus at 7.50am, I was collected at about 8.05am. A mini bus with two GSE team, ours and the Canadians (D7010). We all got on well and started off our international bus trip.

After stopping at the boarder, Greg, Fran, Jodie and I were all taken to a meeting room to discuss why we had over stayed our visit in Malawi, and advised that we could either stay and explain our situation in court, or be banned from visiting Malawi without prior approval from the government. If it hadn’t been so serious it would have been funny. Hutch (one of the Rotarians), talked our way through it. (our approval was for 7 days and we were there for eight!!)

Then to the next border checkpoint, and they had run out of forms (one short). So I didn’t fill out a form. Guess what, I got asked if I could explain why I hadn’t, etc. What a time!

So off we go. After being told we would arrive in Lusaka at 2-3pm, then 4pm, then 6pm, we arrive at 8.30pm. Lloyd (the Canadian team leader) and I then have to follow up the bags that were carried by other Rotarians, so we both arrive at our accommodation at 9.20pm, and dinner is finally on at 10pm. We all survived. WELL DONE TEAMS!!!

No comments: