Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cure International Hospital

Today was our first day of vocational visits. My host family organised for me to visit a local hospital called Cure International Hospital. This hospital provides services to children with physical disabilities such as cerebral palsy, club foot, and spina bifida. There are also Private patients in the hospital, which help to fund the running of the hospital. Private outpatient appointments from the physiotherapist also help to fund the hospital.

They have around 50 beds in the children's ward. Each child has a guardian who stays with them 24 /7 - this could be a parent or a guardian from their orphanage. There is no Occupational Therapist working there. However, they have a 'Rehabilitation Technician' - these people are trained by OTs and physiotherapists. The Rehab technician at the hospital trained at the Rehabilitation hospital next door to CURE.

The children are seen for 'physio' treatment on the ward - there is not therapy space or room to take them. The children seem so happyand well cared for, in spite of the fact they have had major orthopaedic surgery.

I also had the opportunity to go to the Public Rehab hospital next door. Again, there were several Rehab technicians working, but there were OTs and physios also. Most of the OTs were employed as part of the school that teaches the Diploma of Rehabilitation Technology. The facilities are different to those in Australia, but the staff do a great job with the resources they have.

Today was also my first indulgence in the local maize meal - provided by the hospital kitchen. Nsima - which is kind of maize porridge (similar in consistency to that horrible Deb mashed potato you take camping) with a beef stew and a cabbage pickle concoction on the side. It didn't taste too bad, though left a lining of starch on the roof of my mouth that required copious amounts of water and some serious chewing gum to remove!!

The family I am staying with are wonderful! They have two children, who are 8 and 4, so I have been having a ball! We went for a picnic with the extended family to Zomba Plateau on Sunday, which was similar to Kondalilla Falls in Montville, with a little stream and waterfalls. The difference being we had our picnic at a trout farm and were hassled on the way up the mountain by lots of vendours trying to sell berries, guavas, bananas and other fruits. The kids have introduced me to Nintendo Wii - and I'm pretty awful at it - they both put me to shame! But, I have been enjoying the maths and spelling homework! I've been asked by Shaan (the older boy) to stay until his birthday on May 18th - so if I don't come home, you'll know where I am!

Tomorrow Fran and I are going to a local Orphanage called Open Arms - and we will do our first presentation tomorrow night at the Rotary Club of Limbe.

That's all for now - sending best wishes from Blantyre : )

No comments: